Thursday, October 25, 2012

how it's going

It's been a while since I've posted.  Today I received my second week of round one of the new chemo drugs.  I feel good, just a little tired.  Feeling good has been the norm lately.  I've been active and participating in normal routines.  The difference is no more radiation.  Radiation really took it out of me, and I am able to see that now that I'm a week out of having treatments.  I am thankful this part is behind me for now and, hopefully, for good.  Even though it is "behind" me, I am still experiencing side effects from the radiation.  The doctor reassured that the symptoms should subside within two to three weeks.  I am experiencing heigtened sensitivity to noise and light.  My right eye feels thick and congested and usually has some silvery purpleish floaters.  This can be quite annoying.  I have a pair of perscription eye glasses that I have not worn in 20 years, except for night driving long distances, that now I wear everytime I read-especially on the computer.  Along with the eye issues, the radition "fallout", so to speak, has left my hands a bit shaky which affects writing, cooking-pouring and cutting.  Lastly, another related symptom, is short term memory/recall.  Staying on task is challenging.  It takes me a lot longer to cook dinner!  So, meal time is a little later than desired.  A small price to pay, though, to actually feel motivated to cook in the first place.  I love to cook and provide for my family in that way.  Enough with radiation detour and back to chemo. I am tolerating the new drugs well.  My blood work remains to good which is important to keep infection at bay.  In order to assist my body in the ever important task of  fighting infection, I have been drinking fresh juice daily. It's loaded with veggies and fruit to stimulate the immune system and help keep my liver healthy.  Not only is liver health important, but my lung health is always at the front of my mind.  With all the tumors present in both sides of my lungs, I want to keep all ailments at bay to not further stress them.  I have noticed, since starting the new chemo, more activity with my lungs:  clearing my throat more, concentrating for deep breaths and noticing more fullness/tightness.  I am taking this increased sensitivity as a sign that the chemo is shrinking and killing tumors causing my lungs to labor.  I am willing this chemo to do it's job and stop this beast.  I am finding a way out!  Next week will be an off week, meaning I will not receive a chemo infusion thus ending round one.  I will resume the following week for round two.  After round two we will probably repeat scans to see all the progress we have made.  At that time, a decision to continue these drugs or to trial at MD Anderson would be made.  May you all be happy and healthy!  Much love and peace, Kara

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Kara. Healing love, peace, and blessings to you too, Kara. Thinking about all of you each day. I'll send the Lentil Soup recipe soon. I just typed it into the blog and hit "publish" but it seems to have gotten lost, so I reposted this here. It's late :o

    ReplyDelete