Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16, 2012: UPDATE

I will have surgery Friday the 21st. At which time my right breast will be removed to rid my body of this out-of-control tumor once and for all. Surgery, at this point, does not extend my survival rate. It only improves my quality of life which I believe, by default, extends survival rate. I am completely freaked out about being put to sleep. However, I know the outcome will only make life more "normal" as I will be able to move more freely. So, I am, everyday, allowing the fear to be replaced with trust and comfort in knowing that good awaits me on the other side of surgery. My surgeon said no muscle will be cut and I have enough good, healthy tissue the closure should be easy for her. I am not opting for reconstructive surgery at this time. I want to heal first and decide later. I will resume chemo treatments the first week in October. The last week in September, I will repeat CT and Bone scans to see if existing tumors have shrunk. If no tumors have responded to chemo. We will revise the treatment plan. As far as how chemo affected me this week, I have been mostly unaffected. I had a couple of days of not wanting to eat and general fatigue, but no major ill side effects. My mom will come Thursday through Sunday. Keith's mom will be here Friday through the night. My surgery requires an overnight stay. Keith will also be home Friday night but I'm sure will wecome the grandmas' support as we have to arrive at the surgical center by 5:30 A.M. on Friday. This center is at Far West and Mopac. Today is shaping up to be relaxing but productive. We've had a really nice visit with great friends. I have to tell you guys that come for visits how much I appreciate them. Since we don't really get out socially, having friendly visits make me feel connected. Thank you! I look forward to them every week. I hope everyone has a fantastic week and enjoys this badly needed rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment