Wednesday, September 12, 2012

the latest info

So, I met with my oncologist, Dr. Wright, today. A lot of the same: my blood work (labs) are all good. As usual the only low numbers are my red blood cell counts. However, they are just barely below the low range. So, after my treatment last Thursday, I had an incredible headache--crazy headache. I refer to this type of headache a "baseball bat headache" because a baseball bat to the head would feel better. This headache has been ongoing since last Thursday but it dips and swells in strength. I do not particularly like living with headaches! I also experienced great fatigue this week keeping me mostly resting until Monday. This put a great strain on Keith in his efforts to be mom and dad and housekeeper. My appetite was almost nil but I did manage to keep my weight right at 158. I've been 158 since I started chemo. I feel if I can keep my weight on, it will help me through all the drug therapy. I did have anohter leg pain episode which started a few days before I received my treatment on Thursday. This is inconsistent with the last leg pain episode which seemed to happen after treatment. Again Dr. Wright ordered an ultrasound, to rule out blood clot. She also ordered xrays of my entire left leg and lower back to try to diagnose this pain. The ultrasound was negative--no blood clot!! That is good. We want no extra problems at this point. The xrays however showed a tiny lesion on my left leg that is a metastases. Mystery solved. It is cancer that is causing the leg pain. This does not change my treatment nor does it complicate it. It is simply more information. As Dr. Wright ut it today, "This bone met(metasteses) is bottom of the worry list." Essentially, it is just more to monitor. Dr. Wright is ordering that my orginal xrays, taken after a suspicious area showed up on bone scan at the end of July, be examined again and compared to the current xrays. We want this to be an oversite and not new growth. She is also ordering another round of CT and Bone scans at the beginning of October. This time she is adding my brain to the order to rule out metasteses to the brain since I am experiencing so many headaches. I am honestly scared to find the results of a brain scan. I so do not want cancer in my brain. On another note: All the support that continues to flow our way is beyond helpful. You guys are sustaining us right now and allowing the space we need to try to get through this. The last couple of weeks have been really challenging. I know there are more challenges to come. I have been more emotional lately and feeling more discouraged and a bit overwhelmed. Then someone comes over for a visit or we get food or we get $ to pay bills and I remember that we are not alone in this fight. You all are there too. I appreciate all your energy, time, prayers and meditations. Sincerely, without it "throwing in the towel" becomes a visiting thought in my mind. Then, through the power of the combined strength of us all, I keep going. I want to watch my kids grow up and continue life. I want to be here for them. I want to be here for Keith and all of you. Thank you alll so much. I love you all. Tomorrow I have my 2nd treatment of the 2nd round. Wish me luck! If I feel well tomorrow evening, I will go to Chuy's around 5:30 and then to Shady Grove. Hope to see many of you there. Peace, Kara Oh, Janice buzzed my head. It feels wonderful and I really like the look. I will try to attach a photo.

3 comments:

  1. Kara, You look beautiful with a buzz! Thinking about you and keeping you guys in my prayers. I'll miss seeing you this Saturday, but hope to visit soon. --Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara,

    You are so generous to share your feelings, thoughts, and experience with us. I am happy to count myself one of many who hold you and your family in my thoughts throughout the day. Sending you love, luck, and kick-ass healing energy. (Dinner tomorrow).

    Hugs,
    Jinji

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're rocking the buzz! Keeping all four of you in my thoughts.

    -Brooke

    ReplyDelete